Top 4 Reasons Families Hire Postpartum Doulas
What Is a Postpartum Doula?
A postpartum doula is a trained professional who provides physical, emotional, and informational support to new parents during the postpartum period. This can range from a few days to several weeks or months, depending on the needs of the family. Postpartum doulas are not medical professionals, but they are trained in newborn care, breastfeeding support, and postpartum recovery.
What Does a Postpartum Doula Do?
The role of a postpartum doula is to provide non-judgmental support and guidance to new parents as they navigate the challenges of the postpartum period. This can include:
- Practical Assistance: A postpartum doula can help with chores like cooking, cleaning, and laundry, freeing new parents to concentrate on rest and recovery. Additionally, they can help with baby care tasks like feeding and changing diapers.
- Support in Times of Emotional Stress: A postpartum doula can offer a sympathetic ear and a shoulder to cry on during the emotionally taxing time following childbirth. They can help new parents process their feelings and provide encouragement and reassurance when needed.
- Breastfeeding Support: Breastfeeding can be a challenging and overwhelming experience for many new parents. When it comes to latching, positioning, and milk production, a postpartum doula can offer advice and support.
- Education: Postpartum doulas are trained in newborn care, postpartum recovery, and breastfeeding. They can provide information on topics such as infant sleep, soothing techniques, and postpartum healing.
- Advocacy: A postpartum doula can help new parents navigate the healthcare system and advocate for their needs and preferences. They can help ensure that the new parents feel heard and respected in their interactions with medical professionals.
Why Should You Hire a Postpartum Doula?
1. Improved Postpartum Recovery
The postpartum period is a time of physical and emotional recovery. After having a baby, life must go on. Laundry piles up, things around the house need to be tended to, and keeping up with all of that with your new bundle of joy isn't necessarily easy. Postpartum doulas can act as an extra set of hands to help lighten the load.
By working with a postpartum doula, you can hand off some of the load, which can allow you to prioritize rest and self-care. This will give you a chance to recover more quickly.
2. Increased Breastfeeding Success
Breastfeeding is a challenging experience for many new parents. While it is natural and beneficial for both the baby and the mother, it is also a skill that needs to be learned and practiced. Many new parents struggle with breastfeeding due to issues such as latch problems, low milk supply, engorgement, nipple soreness, and mastitis. This can lead to frustration, stress, and even feelings of guilt and failure.
Hiring a postpartum doula can increase the chances of breastfeeding success by providing the support and guidance needed to overcome these challenges.
3. Decreased Risk of Postpartum Depression
Postpartum moms often deal with the “baby blues” due to their changing hormones, lack of sleep, and the general newness of having a child and not quite knowing what to do with it. The postpartum period can be a difficult and isolating time, and not all mothers have the support group that they need to help them overcome symptoms of postpartum depression.
While doulas are not a stand-in for licensed therapists, having a knowledgeable, experienced person that a new mother can lean on for advice and help can decrease the risk of postpartum depression.
When introducing a new child to your family, everybody has to adjust. Sleeping schedules change drastically, and honestly, most parents that we work with say that the thing they need more of is sleep. One way that doulas can help as postpartum doulas is by staying overnight so that you and your partner can get some extra sleep.
Kooshlie Care Doula Support
Kooshlie Care's dedication to individualized care sets us apart from other doula support companies. We are aware that every parent has individual needs, which is why we take the time to get to know you, your worries, and your birthing objectives. Our doulas collaborate with you to design a personalized birth plan that reflects your preferences, and we give you information based on scientific research to aid in your decision-making.
We at Kooshlie Care provide a variety of doula support services, such as:
- Prenatal Support: Our doulas offer individualized assistance throughout your pregnancy, including frequent check-ins, factual advice, and emotional support.
- Support for Labor and Birth: We continue to offer comfort measures, pain management strategies, and advocacy as part of our doula support for labor and birth.
- Postpartum Support: After your child is born, new families may need an extra hand. Our doulas provide in-home support after birth, including feeding, baby care, and emotional support.
Get in touch with us right away if you want to benefit from doula support. On this thrilling journey, it would be our honor to assist you and your family.